Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Little copper soldiers

I happened to run across a game called "Warhammer",  I was working with some younger guys who were really into it. 
The game itself was a little too rule heavy for my taste, but the soldiers were intriguing. 
These guys were as into the models as they were the game, which I liked. Personally, I'm not into things that come in kit form, but anything that lets people be creative with things in the real world 
(as opposed to the cyber world) is aces with me.
The items are fabricated from copper scrap I had hanging around. The bases are 1" disks of doubled up lead flashing. 
They stand about an inch and a half tall and are surprisingly heavy. 
I had intended to add some gravel or something to the bases once the set got larger.
I started a couple of other items in the series. A 'walker'  a cannon with legs and a couple of things that looked like jet powered locusts, but I asked myself "What are you going to do with this stuff? It's never going to show and it's going to be one more dust catcher on the shelf."
Reality really takes all the fun out of art.
Next time you're bored, Google "Warhammer", there are a lot of sites with photo's of "armies". Some of these folks are really talented.

No comments: