Monday, June 30, 2008

Jigglevision

A friend of mine came into work looking pretty dejected one day.
He told me that he'd asked his daughter, who was about to turn 16, what she wanted for her birthday.
So I'm thinking car or horse or a phone in her room.
(Remember, this is the 80's and I've never had kids.)
Well, no. ...she wanted a boob job.
I like breasts as much as the next guy, but they're sure not going to make or break a deal, so I didn't get why this should be such a crisis, especially for an attractive girl with a lot of growing left to do.
I was between wives at the time, but intimate with a socially savvy (small breasted) woman. I told her about my friends plight, and how I just didn't get the girls obsession. My significant others response was to turn on the TV and start flipping thru the channels. The first thing she hit was a cartoon called "Thunder Cats".
She pointed out to me that you could easily tell the good 'guys' from the bad 'guys' because the good female cartoon characters always had the bigger breasts. She hit a half a dozen more stations, some TV shows, some commercials, it was all the same.
I was pretty wrapped up in another sculpture called "TV2, The News"
but that got put on hold so I could make this one.
I can't believe it still runs 20 years later


2 comments:

Rona Gelman said...

Dear Sir,

I hope you still check this blog from time to time. I think your insights are right on point. I wish my fellow "art makers" would really open their eyes to the world and make relevant art.

Also, your view on what makes art, art, is wonderful.

With Much Admiration,

RG

charkstudios said...

OMG! Your blog made me laugh so hard.